Marian P. Merritt - Lagniappe

Where the Bayous Meet the Mountains

Friday, May 11, 2007

Tolerance

It's during those quiet moments with God that He speaks. This morning while studying the last chapters of Romans, the message of acceptance of all boomed loud and clear.

How often do I judge by first impressions, worship style, or appearance?

Many readers read the first paragraph of a book and immediately form an opinion, never giving the character a chance. Never reading further to experience the character's growth.

Are we doing the same to people we meet? Not bothering to take the time or put in the effort to get past that first impression. How often is that first impression wrong?

A quote by George Washington Carver helped me during my days working with patients. The real meaning in what we are as Christians, wives, mothers, writers, etc…is shown here:

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong, because someday in life you will have been all of these."
George Washing Carver

As I age, I can look back and see where I've been in these different positions. The people I remember during those times were the ones who showed me tenderness, compassion, sympathy, and tolerance…

How do you want to be remembered?

No comments: