Marian P. Merritt - Lagniappe

Where the Bayous Meet the Mountains

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

K. Dawn Byrd - Hotline Girl


Lagniappe interviews the characters, Abby and Race, from YA novel:

Hotline Girl by K. Dawn Byrd
Released June 21, 2013


Abby is surprised to find out that the guy she's been counseling through the hotline at school is her forever crush. Can she give good advice when she really wants to tell him to dump his girlfriend?


Blurb:
When the school counselor asks Abby to work a counseling chat line, she begs her to choose someone else. When Race, Abby's three-year crush, begins using the chat line to talk about his girlfriend problems, can Abby be impartial when she really wants to tell him to dump her?
Race notices Abby after she has a complete make-over. He begins to spend more time with her and feels like a cheater because he likes the hotline girl too. How can he like two girls at once?
Abby is thrilled when Race begins spending time with her, but she's crushed when he tells the hotline girl that he likes her and wants to take her out. Is he a player? Will he even want to be with her when he finds out that she is the hotline girl and knows all his deepest secrets?


Bio:
K. Dawn Byrd is an author of inspirational novels in several genres, including historical, suspense, romance, and young adult. Some of her favorite things are chocolate, cars, and her pets. Her hobbies include reading, writing, and riding down country roads in the passenger seat of her husband's Corvette Stingray. When asked why she writes, her response is, "For the simple joy of placing words on the page!"

Interview with the heroine:

1.  Abby, tell me the most interesting thing about you.
I'm not very interesting at all. I'm actually kind of shy and I hang out with the geeks. I tell myself I have no desire to be like everyone else, but then I find myself getting a total makeover because I want Race to notice me.

2.  What do you do for fun?
I like to read and I own and maintain several aquariums. I don't go to football games. Instead, I have a slumber parties with my best friend, Marge. We listen to the game on the radio and vegg out on junk food.

3.  What do you put off doing because you dread it?
I hate this hotline gig my mom signed me up for. I have to leave class and sign on as the hotline girl when my phone gets a text. I hate giving advice. What if I give someone bad advice?

4.  What are you afraid of most in life?
I'm afraid of never getting noticed. I'm afraid of just being a face in the crowd. I'm afraid of never landing the guy of my dreams.

5.  What do you want out of life?
I want to find the perfect guy. He has to be a Christian though and they're in short supply.

6.  What is the most important thing to you?
My friend Marge is a pretty important part of my life. She's mad at me right now and I'm crushed. I'm not sure how to go about getting our friendship back. Also, my faith in God is important.

7.  Do you read? If so, what is your favorite type of book to read?
I don't have much time to read, especially now that I'm working the hotline.

8.  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd love to be pretty. I have plans to get a makeover. I'm scared. What I like what I look like when I'm finished? Will Race even notice the change in me?

9.  Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?
I have a dog. His name is Winky and he's a Greyhound. We rescued him from a shelter.

10. If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why?
I would go back to the day I started middle school and find a way to be popular. I'd do away with the baggy t-shirts and jeans and wear what the popular girls wear. I'd learn how to manage my naturally curly frizzy hair and how to wear make-up.

Interview with the hero:

1.  Race, tell me the most interesting thing about you.
I live on a farm. It's not a working farm. We don't raise crops or animals. We just have lots of pets. The horses are my favorite. I'm good at football too. I'm hoping to get a college scholarship.

2.  What do you do for fun?
I like to hang out with my friends and ride horses.

3.  What do you put off doing because you dread it?
I put off dealing with my girlfriend sometimes. I love Isis, but she's driving me crazy. She puts pressure on me to do things I shouldn’t do, so I try not to be alone with her.

4.  What are you afraid of most in life?
This is terrible to say. I'm afraid of not being popular. I'm so ashamed of myself. I'm a Christian, but the guys at school don't know it. Abby pointed it out to me and I feel terrible.

5.  What do you want out of life?
I want a nice girlfriend who is marriage material, someone who will help me stay true to God. One day, I'd like to get married and have a house and kids of my own.

6.  What is the most important thing to you?
Right now, it's getting a football scholarship and finding a way to break up with Isis. She's driving me crazy, but I don't want to hurt her. My sister tried to commit suicide over a guy and I don’t want to take the chance that Isis might do the same thing. I'd never forgive myself.

7.  Do you read books? If so, what is your favorite type of book?
I read car magazines. Does that count?

8.  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
If I could change one thing about myself, it would be never having dated Isis to begin with. She's constant drama and not a very nice person sometimes.

9.  Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?
Horses.

10.  If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why?
I'd love to go back in time and start school on the right track. I'd let everyone know that I'm a Christian. And, I'd never have started dating Isis because I should have been dating a Christian all along.


To connect with K. Dawn Byrd:  Blog: www.kdawnbyrd.blogspot.com


Thanks for sharing with us!

Readers, thanks for visiting Lagniappe.

I pray that you find "a little something extra" in each of your days.

Marian




3 comments:

K. Dawn Byrd said...

Thanks so much for hosting me!

K Byrd said...

Thanks so much for hosting me!

Unknown said...

K. Dawn,

You are welcome! Thanks for sharing with my readers!